A MAN has been charged with assault after allegedly punching a toddler and throwing a baseball bat at him in front of a Ponce City Market crowd in the Philippines.
The 26-year-old is currently in custody and will face a court appearance in Quezon City on February 25.
The attack took place during the annual Ponce in Aquino’s visit to the market on Wednesday, which was to mark the opening of the latest exhibition of the Philippine National Games.
The man, identified as Cesar, was punched in the face while throwing a bat at the toddler.
Mr Cesar was reportedly not injured in the attack.
He was later arrested by police and charged with attempted assault, a third-degree felony.
The toddler, who was not identified, was also assaulted by Mr Cede.
According to the Quezon Daily Inquirer, Mr Calde was detained for allegedly attempting to obstruct a police investigation into the attack on Wednesday.
The incident was captured on video and posted on social media by a shopper who was walking with her daughter at the time.
In the video, the man can be seen punching the toddler and kicking the child.
He is heard yelling “no” before throwing the baseball bat, the Inquireor reported.
The boy then appears to get up and run towards a nearby building, where he is attacked by Mr. Cede, who is also seen punching him several times in the head and face.
Mr. Cebe has also been charged for assaulting another man at the market earlier this month.
The two incidents sparked outrage from local residents, with many demanding a formal investigation into Mr Cabe’s alleged involvement in the incidents.
Mr Duterte has previously been criticised for his response to the violence and has repeatedly warned that vigilante groups would not be tolerated.
He has also repeatedly criticised human rights groups and politicians who criticised his handling of the conflict.
A group of people have already been arrested in connection with the incidents in Quezacion City, Quezon.
One of the arrested individuals, identified only as Carlos, told police that Mr Cadegri had approached him in Quezo City while holding a baseball in one hand and a baseball stick in the other and told him he was from the Philippines and needed money.
He said he had been waiting for the day when Mr Cende would come to Quezon to pick up some of the children in his care.
Mr Carlos told the Quezayan police that he and Mr Cante had been talking for a long time about the baseball-throwing incident.
They had been having a drink together when he noticed that the man who had been punching him in the nose had gone away.
They continued talking and he told him that he would pick up the children for him if he paid him a hundred pesos.
He told him to wait a few minutes.
Then he left and the next day he picked up the child for him.
According the police, the other man, who has not been named, also reported seeing Mr Ceda throwing the bat.
The police have also seized two baseball bats from Mr Corde, as well as a baseball glove.
Mr Cebe also allegedly threw a bottle at a woman who was waiting for her children at a shopping mall nearby.
She also told the police that she witnessed Mr Conde throwing the bottle at the child, as she was leaving the mall.
A police officer said they would be releasing the video in the coming days.
“The incident at the Ponce market was totally unexpected, which is why we are still looking for witnesses,” Quezon Mayor Oscar Albayalde told reporters.
“We have identified three suspects and they have been arrested.
We are also questioning a witness, who did not have a CCTV camera at the moment.”
Mr Cenda was a member of a street gang who often fought for his turf and regularly targeted the businesses of the city’s poorest.
The Philippine government has made it a priority to combat the gang’s rise by cracking down on those involved in the trade.
The gang is believed to be responsible for at least two of the recent attacks on local businesses.